We love dogs, and it’s not just because they make the perfect furry companions. There are all kinds of things that make pups home’s best friend. Check out some of our favourite dog facts below:
7 Fantastic Dog Facts:
1. There is only one breed of dog that has six toes on each foot. The Norwegian Lundehund is, understandably, incredibly agile. Although this breed is certainly not for first-time owners, (they’re difficult to house train and have high energy levels) they are very friendly with family and strangers.
2. Dogs can actually get jealous when they see their owners displaying affection for someone or something else! Especially, we suspect, if that someone is the cat…
3. There are diabetic alert dogs, who pick up when their owners insulin levels drop. There are also seizure dogs who are trained to help their owner at the onset of a seizure. These are just some of the duties that varying service pups can perform!
4. Dogs dream! They experience the same slow wave sleep and rapid eye movement stages. During the REM stage, they can dream just like we do- which may account for wagging tails and twitching paws!
5. Dogs don’t just see in black and white. Although it’s commonly believed that our canine companions can only see in various shades of grey, this is not the case. Instead, it is believed that they see primarily in blue and greenish-yellow, on top of the shades of grey.
6. Everyone knows dogs have a better sense of smell than us. But, did you know how much better? Your dogs sense of smell can be between 1000 to 10 million times better than yours!
7. Because of this superior sense of smell, it is believed that dogs can actually smell your feelings. That is, they can pick up on tiny changes in your scent (such as if you get nervous and start perspiring). This keen sense of smell is also very likely how dogs are able to detect if someone in their house is ill or pregnant!
What are your favourite dog facts? Let us know in the comments below!