There are so many amazing things to eat in Waterloo Region, it’s almost excessive. But we’re certainly not complaining! Of course, it wouldn’t make sense to eat out all the time. That’s why there’s all the more reason to go somewhere truly fantastic when you do! The next time you’re celebrating a milestone, grabbing lunch with co-workers, or just looking for some delicious food, give one of these mouth-watering restaurants a try!
These fantastic restaurants offer casual and take-out fare without sacrificing an ounce of flavour!
- Vincenzo’s: Yes, Vincenzo’s is better known for its upscale, market style grocery. However, if you’re looking for a quick, delicious sandwich, this is also the place for you! Head to their deli and grab a number to create your very own fresh sandwich from a huge variety of high quality meats, cheeses, and freshly baked bread.
- Bao Sandwich Bar: “Sandwich” is in the name, but that doesn’t fully encapsulate the food offered by this new restaurant. Bao fuses Vietnamese, Taiwanese, and other asian cuisine for a delicious, indescribable meal. Choose between peking duck, fried chicken, breaded avocado, and more. The best part is the impossibly soft, cloud-like bao “buns.” You have to try these at least once!
- Shawerma Plus: There are plenty of restaurants in Kitchener-Waterloo where you can find shawerma, but this one is our absolute favourite. Incredibly friendly service meets delicious and authentic meals, including fattoush, shawerma plates and wraps, and hummus!
- The Fritter Co.: Alright, so maybe donuts don’t exactly constitute a meal. But, these fantastic fritters are well worth trying anyways! The Fritter Co., located at the St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market, always has a line up of eager patrons, but don’t be discouraged! It’s just a mark of quality. Head to the farmers’ market to see what all the fuss is about- you’re sure to leave with more than you came for!
These places have a more formal, dinner atmosphere.
- Kinkaku Izakaya: There are plenty of all-you-can eat sushi places in town. However, none compare to this incredibly popular restaurant in downtown Kitchener. Fresh fish, fantastic house recommendations, and delicious izakaya! Make reservations for groups larger than 6, or come prepared to wait about half an hour to get a table. Don’t worry, the wait is definitely worth it!
- Lancaster Smokehouse: If you love southern barbeque, you have to go here. Sample fried catfish, gumbo, and delicious honey cornbread. For your main, choose between a variety of options including pulled pork, ribs, and pigtails. Top it all off with 2 choices from their 14 house-made sides! Come here prepared to eat, and bring the leftovers home for tomorrow’s lunch!
- Bhima’s Warung: They say don’t judge a book by its cover, and nothing could be more accurate for this incredible Southeast Asian restaurant. Let their amazing chefs blow you away with Indonesian, Vietnamese, and Thai dishes to broaden your horizons and wake up your taste buds. Be warned, a meal here is not cheap! However, if you’re celebrating a birthday or promotion and are willing to spend a little more, you absolutely can not go wrong with Bhima’s.
- At The Crossroads: Once again, you’ll have to travel slightly out of town to Elmira to sample this fantastic food. For comforting, homestyle cooking, all-you-can-eat buffets for every meal, and homemade pies, look no further. Well worth the drive!
- PUBLIC Kitchen & Bar: For tapas style eating, try out this upscale restaurant on Lancaster. The quality of the food here is truly amazing. Plus, the owners just opened the Public Market on Frederick Street. We have not been yet, but are definitely planning to pay a visit!
- Red House: Chef Dan Mccowan makes it worth your while to step off the main street of Uptown Waterloo. Sample fare like creme brulee french toast, goat cheese and pancetta perogies, and coq au vin. I still remember the curry hummus I tried on my first visit here!
If you, like us, have difficulty thinking of a restaurant when it actually comes time to make a selection, why not bookmark this page? That way, you will always have easy access to a list of varied cuisines and foods available in Waterloo Region! For more information on restaurants in Kitchener-Waterloo, look here!