I know, the idea of having “extra” room seems a bit ridiculous. What kind of problem is that? But, if your kids are getting older, extra room is exactly what you’re on your way to having. Plus, many homes suffer from unused rooms: a media room the kids have outgrown, a home office that serves as the burial grounds for old books and CDs, and so on. Finally, if you have an unfinished basement or attic, you automatically qualify as having extra space! These often overlooked spaces provide the perfect place to let your home decor dreams come true. If you’ve been putting off “impractical” hopes for your home, well- there’s no time like the present!
Ideas for your extra room:
1. Home Theatre. Not every room will be right for a home theatre, but if your basement is sitting unused, you’re in luck. We love the idea of a home theatre, especially with advancements in technology that make it easier than ever to have quality screens and sound in your own house! Plus, there is so much gorgeous inspiration out there. Keep in mind that a home theatre can be a pricey project. However, the pay off is so worth it. Experiment with plush, sprawling couches, fluffy floor pillows, and other alternatives to theatre chairs for maximum comfort! (Photo: buzzfeed)
2. Guest Bedroom. Once your kids have flown the coop, it’s nice to have a spare bedroom so they can stay with you when they come to visit. Plus, a guest bedroom can double as a second living room if you use versatile decorations and add a tv or games corner. If you’re growing tired of the decorations in your own bedroom, use them to set up this space, then go on a shopping spree to update the look in your master bed. (Photo: HGTV)
3. Sun Room. Granted, this one requires your free space to be in a specific location, but it’s still one of our favourite ideas. Turning an exterior room into a sun room can be as simple as adding a few huge windows, changing the floor to a more “outdoorsy” wood, and updating the decorations. Try using a mixture of indoor and outdoor decorations to emphasize the transitional nature of this room. Remember to keep colours bright and happy to match the sunny theme. (Photo: goodhousekeeping)
4. Home Bar. It’s easy to turn any size of room into a home bar. If you have more space, you can experiment with a full counter, bar stools, and lounge area. If you’re converting a smaller space such as a ground floor bedroom, use a simple and stylish drink cart. With the addition of a fridge and some appropriate decoration, you’ll have the perfect room for entertaining. (Photo: decoholic)
5. Home Gym. Getting to the gym can’t get any easier than this. Depending on your preferred method of exercise, a home gym can be relatively affordable. Make sure to choose equipment that you know you love! Add wall to wall mirrors for a full effect. If you’re a music lover, consider installing high quality speakers to help you through your workout! (Photo: Architecture Art Design)