What’s the best way to enjoy yourself without driving out of town? We’re so glad you asked! There are tons of amazing and exciting events, festivals, restaurants, and other things to do in Kitchener. In fact, there are so many things we love, we decided to make you a full day itinerary. Sample delicious food, stroll through the park, catch a show and more! We’ve picked our absolute favourites to create the perfect itinerary for your to enjoy with friends, that special someone, or all by yourself!
Head to the Yeti Cafe for an absolutely delicious sandwich. This small cafe is located across the street from the Kitchener market, and serves up freshly cooked food to their eager patrons. They are famous for their sandwiches- we highly recommend the pregnant sasquatch or the pregnant cowgirl! However, there are other items on offer, like omelettes, breakfast plates, and Swiss french toast. Grab a soft pretzel to munch on as you leave.
This is the perfect way to start your Saturday. Shop for delicious Ontario strawberries, plump blueberries, fresh asparagus or salad greens, and more with the produce vendors. Or, head inside to sample artisanal chocolates, perfectly prepared goat cheese, fresh juice or kombucha, and take home some thick cut bacon! The market is a great place to actually enjoy your food shopping in a lively, social, and friendly environment.
Hit a few great stores for some window shopping, or take home a new pair of sunglasses or a gift for a friend!
- White Tiger Vintage: This fun shop offers a constantly rotating display of vintage clothes! They also stock vintage sunglasses, bags, purses, shoes, and colourful woven blankets. Pop in for an eyeful of colour, a blast from the past, or to purchase that old band shirt you owned back in high school.
- A Second Look Books and Movies: We love secondhand book shops because they feel like a treasure hunt for the perfect novel. You’re bound to find the perfect book (or movie) to curl up with when the rainy weather hits.
- Walper Tobacco Shop: If you like cigars, no more needs to be said! However, even if you’re not a cigar smoker, this old shop is worth a quick peek. The small tobacco store off the side of the Walper Hotel is more than a hundred years old! (Plus, they occasionally sell chocolates, coffee, and other knick knacks).
- Open Sesame: A fun, quirky selection of art, books, and more! Pop in to peruse their collection, and leave with a gift for your friends next birthday.
Now that you’ve walked off this morning’s sandwich, it’s time to start thinking about another meal! Here are a few of our top lunch picks to choose from:
- Kinkaku Izakaya: This is all-you-can-eat sushi, the way you wish it would always be. Fresh sushi, hand rolls, and maki will satisfy your cravings! Tempura shrimp and vegetables, warm gyoza, fried scallops, and dozens of other options finish off the selection at this incredibly popular sushi restaurant. Although lunch is less busy than dinner, you should still expect to wait for a table!
- B@TheMuseum: Okay, we’ve already mentioned how much we like this restaurant attached to themuseum. So, now is the perfect chance for you to try it out! Sit outside on the sidewalk patio to enjoy some people watching and the summer skies.
- Northern Thai: Somewhat off the beaten trail and lesser known, this Thai restaurant looks fairly unassuming. However, with their huge portions, delicious authentic dishes, and low prices, they are a true crowd pleaser. Stop by for delicious fresh rolls, a classic pad thai, or a huge plate of creamy coconut curry.
2:00pm- Ice Cream and Victoria Park
Top off your lunch with delicious local ice cream (four all) from legacy greens. If ice cream isn’t your thing, grab a nice cold kombucha for your walk! Then, hit up Victoria Park to get your blood flowing again. Follow the walking trails, watch a procession of pups out for their daily walk, and consider grabbing a drink at the Boathouse! The big benefit of visiting the Boathouse is their outdoor patio, situated right on Victoria Park Lake for the perfect relaxing afternoon view.
3:30pm- Kitchener Public Library
After an afternoon in the sun, escape and consider getting lost in a new book or show at the main branch of the Kitchener Public Library. Library cards are free for residents of KW, and they even offer something called an “experience bag” that is full of hand picked books, movies, and music to help you find something new that you will love. Check out a new book or TV show to enjoy on your next lazy sunday.
Once you’re ready to eat again, head to The Berlin for a show stopping meal. This relatively new restaurant is situated in the heart of Downtown, and offers “clean eating with fresh, local ingredients.” Run by renowned chef Jonathan Gushue. If you’re willing to drive a little bit out of Downtown, Public Kitchen is also a fantastic choice.
7:00pm- …and a show!
What else could we suggest? Head to the Centre in the Square for a live music performance, comedy show such as “Whose Live Anyway,” dance, and other fantastic performing arts. It is best to book tickets ahead of time to get good seats, and to ensure you will be able to get in!
What are your favourite things to do in Downtown Kitchener?